Thursday, May 28, 2009

Eclipse: Could not launch the product...

Eclipse crashed or in my case took too long to open a file and I had to shut it down in a not clean state (really surprised it didn't crash during my attempt AND I didn't have to kill it! Great job people@eclipse!).
Next thing that happens when I try to re-launch it using the same workspace is an error message:

Could not launch the product because the associated workspace is currently in use by another Eclipse application

You need to:
  1. go to the workspace home directory
  2. enter the .metadata directory
  3. remove file .lock
and you can happily restart from where you left your job.

3 comments:

Mohamed said...

Thank you for this synthetic solution.

Unknown said...

Well trying to delete that file gives me another error pop-up:

"Cannot delete def... \: It is being used by another person or program."

baah

Vicks said...

Thanks. I was searching for this only.